Dear Chanhassen Residents,
I wanted to share information from Monday’s City Council meeting and other significant business from this week. Enterprise Fleet Management Partnership // Financial Sustainability, Asset Management, Operational Excellence
Franchise Fee Impact on Pavement Management Program (PMP) // Financial Sustainability
- Fulfilling three strategic priorities, this decision also lends itself to our value of INNOVATION. Staff brought forward a new, innovative way to upgrade our fleet with vehicles that increase efficiencies, improves reliability, and minimizes overall costs.
- Through this partnership, the city is projected to save $873,000 over 10 years.
- The program works by leveraging two concepts: government buying power and effective vehicle lifecycle as Enterprise will strategically sell at a time before depreciation drops below purchase price.
- This lease program offers a stable and predictable annual budget management allowing for a responsible use of taxpayer dollars. (Note: this is not the same as a consumer lease. It is an open-ended lease without restrictions on mileage or wear and tear. City retains equity.)
- Less vehicle maintenance and downtime, latest safety components, giving additional capacity of city mechanics to address other city-owned vehicles and equipment.
Avienda Village Townhomes // Development & Redevelopment
- A city Franchise Fee was approved in October 2019 ($5 per utility) with revenues collected starting in March of 2020.
- The $1.8 million in added revenue gets us: 7.3 miles of mill & overlay; 2.8 miles of full depth reclamation, or .9 miles of reconstruction.
- Our 2021 Street Improvement project was the first year utilizing Franchise Fee revenue allowing for a $5 million dollar project that included 6.2 miles of street rehabilitation.
- Two years ago, we would have had a deficit in our PMP fund by 2023. With the implementation of the Franchise Fee, we are now able to consistently plan for and invest in our aging road infrastructure to the level our residents expect.
Highway 5 Traffic Signal
- Approved preliminary plat for the subdivision of 40+ acres – the first plat of this Planned Unit Development.
- Charles Cudd Co. to build 39 townhomes consisting of two and three-car garage units with top of the line amenities.
- Models will be available in the spring.
Highway 101 Completion
- We have received significant feedback requesting that the temporary light on Highway 5 and Minnewashta Parkway remain in place.
- The City of Chanhassen, the City of Victoria, and County Commissioners have been actively engaging with MnDot to advocate for the light to stay.
- MnDot has agreed to engage further with the various entities as this light was to be temporary with the reconstruction of Minnewashta Parkway. With continued development planned (Arboretum Area Transportation Plan), the intersection is expected to meet the minimum requirements for a permanent signal at the completion of those projects (2025).
- We will continue to advocate on behalf of our residents, as we do recognize the important safety implications of having this signal remain in place. We will provide updates as they come available.
- On Tuesday, the city celebrated the opening of Highway 101 between Pioneer Trail and Flying Cloud Drive.
- Great partnerships between Chanhassen, Carver County, and MnDot. With appreciation to state legislators who help secure state contribution.
- The needed improvements included curb, gutter, and trail with an increase in the number of lanes to cut down on accidents and ease congestion.
- A beautiful bridge over Bluff Creek along with an underpass at the southern end will help bikers, walkers, and runners remain safe and enjoy this region’s impressive trail system.
- The installation of a storm water drainage systems to increase the overall durability of the project.
- Thank you to our residents and businesses that were impacted by the construction. Your involvement and feedback were valuable components in the overall plans. Thank you for your patience throughout the two-year process.
to everyone! Stay safe, have fun, and enjoy the weekend. I will be eating my kids’ Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
– can’t wait!