Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Chanhassen’s Response to COVID-19

Following guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to help slow the spread of COVID-19, the City of Chanhassen has closed City Hall, the Rec Center and Senior Center facilities until June 1. Residents are advised to call or email City staff with any City-related questions or business. The outdoor drop box can be used for any utility bill payments that cannot be mailed.

Building Closures & Affected Activities

  • City Hall, the Senior Center, and Recreation Center remain closed to the public
  • City Council and Commission meetings will be conducted virtually
  • Parks & Recreation events and programming cancelled until further notice; virtual programming available on city website
  • The Building Department will be closed to walk-ins, except for permit pick-up or drop-off.
  • Please call City Hall with any questions: 952.227.1100

City and Public Meetings

During the month of May, the follow meetings will occur:

  • City Council meetings will hold electronic meetings at 7:00 pm on Monday, May 11 and Tuesday, May 26. Get details on how city council electronic meetings work HERE.
  • Only one Planning Commission electronic meeting will be held at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, May 5. Get details on how planning commission electronic meetings work HERE.
  • The Economic Development Commission will hold an electronic meeting on Tuesday, May 12 at 7:30 pm via Zoom. Watch the meeting online at or on Mediacom Cable Channel 107.2.
  • The Park and Recreation Commission will hold an electronic meeting on Wednesday, May 27 at 7:30 pm. Watch the meeting online at or on Mediacom Cable Channel 107.2.

As the Mayor, City Council, and City Staff continue to evaluate and determine essential and non-essential City functions, the City’s website and social media pages will be updated to reflect those determinations. 

Department Information & Impacted Services

Building Department:

  • The Building department will be closed to walk-ins except for permit pick-up or drop-off.
  • If you have Building department-related questions, or need to pick-up or drop-off a permit, please call 952-227-1180.

Carver County Sheriff’s Office:

  • The Carver County Sheriff’s Office will maintain the same levels of service with the exception of responding to medical calls for service for “flu-like” symptoms.

Engineering and Public Works:

  • Public bid-openings will take place as scheduled. Doors will be opened and guests will be able to enter on an as-needed basis.
  • The Public Works department is suspending any in-home or in-person work (e.g. Replacing water meters) until further notice.
  • Please call 952-227-1160 with any engineering questions, or 952-227-1300 for Public Works questions.

Fire Dept:

  • No commercial fire inspections or community CPR/AED trainings will be scheduled.
  • The fire department will not be responding to medical calls for service for “flu-like” symptoms.

Miscellaneous Payments:

  • All other payments can be processed over the phone on a temporary and as-needed basis. Please call City Hall at 952-227-1100.

Parks and Recreation:

  • Recreation Programs – All recreation programs scheduled for city facilities are cancelled until further notice. Applicable prorated refunds will be given.
  • For Parks and Recreation questions--including program registration--please call 952-227-1100.

Planning and Zoning:

  • Land-use applications will still be accepted. Please use the drop box outside of City Hall, or submit applications via email.
  • In-person consultations will not be permitted at this time.
  • For planning and zoning questions, please call 952-227-1130.


  • COVID-19 does not present any additional risk to individuals through water supply or wastewater (More information from the CDC can be found here).
  • Utility payments can be made via mail, online, or in the drop box located outside City Hall.
  • No walk-in payments will be accepted.
  • For utility billing questions, please call 952-227-1144.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and sincerely thank you for your patience and understanding.

For additional questions please contact: City Manager Todd Gerhardt at 952-227-1119, or Assistant City Manager Jake Foster at: 952-227-1118.

Who to call?

Carver County’s Response to COVID-19

**Six ways you and your family can reduce coronavirus stress**

Updated 5/14/20 at 3:40 pm