Become a Firefighter
The Chanhassen Fire Department is a paid on-call department serving the residents and businesses within the City of Chanhassen. In addition, the department also responds to mutual aid requests to our neighboring departments, typically for larger incidents such as structure fires, grass fires and other weather-related events.
The department is currently staffed with 41 members who respond out of two fire stations and average about 634 calls per year. The usual recruitment cycle is in the spring of each year.
- Attend a minimum of 25% of all paged callouts
- Attend a minimum of 66% of all scheduled training drill
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Complete Fire-Fighter I and II Hennepin Technical College Courses (paid by department)
- Complete First Responder medical course (paid by department)
- Be a Chanhassen Resident or live within 10 minutes from a Chanhassen Fire Station
- Pass an annual physical assessment
Members receive pay for all callouts they respond to and all scheduled training drills. Officers receive a monthly salary based on rank. All members are enrolled in a retirement program managed by the Chanhassen Relief Association.
The department participates in many community activities and hosts various social events for the membership and their families.
There is a significant time commitment involved for members, especially in the initial year of employment completing all the training requirements. Your family or spouse (if applicable) should be on board with your decision to join as this will affect them as well.
You will be contacted to attend an orientation meeting where you will receive additional information about the department and the job details. Those candidates that decide to stay in the process will be scheduled for a physical agility test and a formal interview.
Final selection of candidates for open firefighter positions will be made by the Fire Chief at the recommendation of the interviewing committee.
The 2018 hiring process has begun. Applications will be accepted through the beginning of April. Tentatively, orientation will be the evening of Tuesday, April 10 and interviews/physical agility will be Saturday, April 21.