The City of Chanhassen regulates signage throughout the community. City Code establishes standards to enhance the aesthetic environment and protect the safety of the residents. These standards permit businesses a reasonable and equitable opportunity to advertise their name and service while preserving civic beauty.
All permanent signage requires a permit. This includes wall, monument and pylon signs. In addition, any alteration, relocation, or reconstruction of an existing sign requires a new permit. The permit fee is $100.00. The fee for signs incorporating an Electronic Message Center is $300.00.
Sign Permit Application
Most temporary signage (e.g., “Sales,” “Now Open” banners, portable changeable letter signs) requires a permit. The fee is $35.00.
City Code Requirements for Temporary Signs
Sign Permit Application
Signs Allowed Without A Permit
All signage must be placed on private property with permission from the property owner, and not in the public right-of-way. The right-of-way is located, generally, 10 to 15 feet from the back of the curb. Please be aware that the City has the right to and will remove any signs placed in this area. The following are some examples of signs allowed without permits. Please contact the City for additional information.
- Must comply with the fair campaign practices act in the Minnesota Statutes
- The signs must contain the name of the person responsible for removing the signs.
Garage Sale Signs
- Must be removed two (2) days after the end of the sale.
- The size of the sign may not exceed four (4) square feet in area.
Employment Opportunity Signs
- One non-illuminated sign per street frontage.
- Banner affixed to the principal structure shall not exceed 100 square feet.
- Free-standing sign shall not exceed 16 square feet and 8 feet in height.
- Must be removed within 7 days after the posted position has been filled.
Real Estate Signs
- Must be removed seven (7) days following the sale, lease or rental of the property.
- One (1) sign is permitted per street frontage.
- The size of the sign may not exceed sixteen (16) square feet in area, and ten (10) feet in height.
- All real estate signs must maintain a ten (10) foot setback from any property line.
- Non-illuminated construction signs must be located on the site under construction.
- One (1) sign is permitted for each street frontage.
- Such signs must be removed upon completion of the project or within one (1) year from the date of the building permit issuance, whichever comes first.
- Residential construction signs may not exceed twenty-four (24) square feet in sign area.
- Commercial and industrial signs may not exceed fifty (50) square feet in sign area.
- Window signs may not cover more than 50% of the total window area.
- Blinking portable signs, stringers and pennants (annoying and nuisances).
- Projecting signs (hazard)
- Roof signs (hazard)
- ANY signs tacked on trees, fences, poles, or in the public right-of-way.